Thursday, April 17, 2014

This is it!

This is kind of a bittersweet ending. I am so excited to see friends and family, but I hate leaving the place I learned to call home. My last night in Bere revealed how many lives God has touched through me. I worked a half day in the hospital and said bye to all my hospital friends. I took a ton of pictures to remember each and every face.

I went to lunch with my adopted family, and we ate a five course meal. It was really hard to say good-bye. Naomi started crying multiple times. Let's be real, I was close to tears as well while I held my sobbing Tchadian mother in my arms.

Packing was a blur. I think I packed everything I wanted, but I don't know for certain. I wanted to get it done and go back to talking and saying bye to everyone. I played a movie for my family and they made me a special meal for dinner. We had a great time. Multiple people showed up to my compound just to say bye! They didn't see me during the day and wanted to make sure they were able to say bye. Naomi even ran back to the SM hut from her house (3 km) after sundown to say bye again. She was also at the bus stop bright and early to see us off. 

Teary eyed I got on the bus and waved goodbye to my Tchadian friends, family, and home. As the familiar scenery faded in the distance and I began to reflect on my time spent in Tchad. I have learned many things and have change in many ways. During the course of my stay I have learned to love and/or accept what Tchad had to offer. 

I learned to love my mud hut. Let's be real, I learned to love all mud huts. I would check out mud huts as I walked around Bere commenting about what I like best about the compound's design. Although I used to hate maxi skirts they are my new best friend. I learned to love boule and sauce. Eating with my hands were a trial at first, but I got the hang of it. In the beginning I would use a few fingers to avoid dirtying my whole hand. It never worked. I had to get close and personal with my food. I had to get it all over me to learn the proper way to eat with your hands. I didn't always eat with my hands. I learned to love using a spoon to eat spaghetti-like pasta and other difficult things to eat with a spoon. 

I learned to love sleeping outside on the floor. You have no privacy outside, but I learned to not care. I learned to ignore and enjoy the moment. I could lay on my back and enjoy the bright stars or full moon. Even the cloudy nights had a tranquil essence that I enjoyed. I was truly bless by nature. From scary motto drives to traditional dances to even walking around barefoot all the time I learned to love them all. 

I have learned to accept the things I cannot change such as the corruption, poverty, malnutrition, and the poor treatment of women. Although that doesn't mean I stopped trying to change those things. I realized that it is a fight that needs many warriors. I would continue to do my part, but I wouldn't kill myself over it. 

In a country riddled with extreme poverty and corruption I found the meaning of true joy. There are wants and needs that aren't met, but many Tchadians are happy for any form of aid. Even when in my eyes the aid given seems useless they will have the biggest smile on their face. Some will even shout for joy and dance around. Even when nothing is giving you can see they are still happy with the little the have. (Although when they see a nasara many people will ask for something...it is hard to explain, but I promise many people seem to live happy lives with the little they have).

Tchad is a crazy place, but thank God "we are not salt." Naomi's saying is a perfect illustration. The clouds may roll in and the storms may come, but we won't dissolve. Poverty, malnutrition, and corruption are constantly pouring rain on the people of Tchad. Many missionaries have come to try and make a difference. However, there is a lot of work to do. Praise God these people aren't salt. They have and will continue to hold on until help comes in whatever form it may be. Tchadian's are strong people. They won't dissolve because they are not salt.




No comments:

Post a Comment